This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install to a folder defined in the Registry???

3 replies to this topic

mtg82814

mtg82814
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 15:40

I am using Windows Installer 1.52...my company is too cheap to upgrade to anything else.

Does any one know how to copy a file to a particular folder at runtime.

I need to copy a file to a particular folder, that is not the Default Install folder.

I have an install that needs to copy an API file to the Adobe Acrobat plugins directory.

I wrote an Install Script that can get this value from the registry and parse out the path.  In the registry I can find the path to the AdobeAcrobat executible and parse out the path to figure out the plugin's directory.

Now that I have the path, I just don't know how to tell the Installer to put a file into that path.

Any Idea's?

Thank You

-Mike

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 01:38

I think the best way to do this is create a seperate component for the file, and set its destination to a global variable, eg ADOBEFILEDESTINATION.

You will need to set a default destintation for this in power editor, but if you are changing this destiation it will not provide any problems.

Then at run time, you can find the destination and set the new property to this value. You will have to write a custom action to do this. You can use the MSI API and use the SetPropertyAction.
You could also use the MsiSetComponentPath function as well.

If all else fails, you could just create an action to copy the file after you have installed to the directory you want it in.

hope this helps

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 09:09

Go to power editor.  Fill in a line for the AppSearch, RegLocator and  Directory Table

Search for property ADOBEDIRECTORY with AppSearch.
use ADOBEDIRECTORY as the name of your directory entry in the directory table.  

The directory ADOBEDIRECTORY will be initialised to the contents of the property during costing.  

No custom action is required.
----
Actually finding the Acrobat InstallPath in the registry is a little tricky because its location varies from version to version.
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)

mtg82814

mtg82814
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:49

Thank You for the help.

You have been very helpful.

-Mike