This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VSI TARGETDIR in Subdirectories

2 replies to this topic

John O

John O
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 21:33

Hi-
I'm using Visual Studio installer, and I am encountering an error that is simple to reproduce. If I create ANY custom folders and set the default location for the folder to something like "[TARGETDIR]\Docs", the install will work fine as long as the user installs to the default directory. However, if the default path is changed, the user will see an error ("A portion of the folder path '' is invalid") and more importantly, the files in the custom folder are installed to the \Docs directory of the ORIGINAL default target directory.

Obviously, the path for the custom folder is being resolved before the TARGETDIR is updated. I've tried dozens of alternate paths and formatting styles and I tried adding my own properties and such. My next step will be to try a custom action to modify a property to equal the TARGETDIR. However, this seems like a really simple and fundemental task (i.e. creating a subdirectory in my install folder), and it wouldn't seem likely that there is not a way to do this.

I've found two threads on the newsgroups regarding this issue, but neither was really resolved. Perhaps I'm not looking for the right thing. Are there any other VSI users out there who have seen/resolved this?

Thanks-
John

John O

John O
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 22:23

I'm trying to anticipate questions:

I cannot simply add a folder to the Application Folder because I wish to set a property for the subfolder. This property is used by a custom merge module that is shared by several installers and adds additional files to the subdirectory. Perhaps there is a different way to accomplish this, but it is escaping me at the moment.

I'm using Visual Studion .NET 2003

Rustican

Rustican
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 19:49

Hello,

I am having the same problem as described in this thread. I am using VS .NET 2002. This thread was started more than a year ago....I hope somebody has the solution to this issue....

Regards,

Rusty