This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Controlled Uninstallation

3 replies to this topic

ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:19

Hello

I am using DEV9 (MSI base) for installation on cluster.
During installtion on NODE1, some of the files (data) will be copied to Shared drive say S:\DATA and product binaries to C:\BIN
During installation on NODE2 I have a condition so that only product binaries are copied to C:\BIN of NODE2 and data directory in shared drive is untouched.
But I am not able to conditioned uninstallation i.e During uninstallation from NODE2 I don't want to delete data from Shared drive S:\DATA.
Only uninstallation from the last node in the cluster should delete the files from shared drive.
Since I don't have any control during uninstallation MSI deletes all the files that it is installed.
How can I acheive the controlled uninstalltion?
How to delete files depending on condition during uninstallation?

I call "msiexec /x [productcode] /qr REMOVE=ALL <few cmd line parameter> /l* "produc_remove.log" during product uninstallation

Thanks in advance
udupa

ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 14:42

Is this possible just making the component property shared = "yes"

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 15:43

(moving the question to the right forum)

You would have to keep some sort of reference count on the shared drive. Any other ref counting method (whether built into MSI or using the shared flag) maintains the ref count in the local registry so it will not know that the software is still installed on some other machine.

ksudupa

ksudupa
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:40

I have Refcount on number of nodes left during uninstallation but how to apply this condition during uninstallation sequence. Where to apply condition like LASTNODE =TRUE?
Thanks