This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dont know where to put my Custom Action..

8 replies to this topic

MIB426

MIB426
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 05:33

Version: Developer 8.0
Project type: Basic

Hi all
At moment I have feather will install the some dll files to D:\Temp folder.

I also make VBScript custom Action to make MTS package and import those dll to MTS package.

Now I need to insert my Custom Action in some where ....but I dont know where I should put.

I need to put only after installshield install all the files in the D:\temp...

Please help me if u can

thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:26

If the file you want to run need to be installed before your custom action accesses it you can either use a deferred custom action, or you could put the custom action after InstallFinalize. You are not supposed to change the system after InstallFinalize, so a deferred custom action is probably what you should use.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MIB426

MIB426
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:18

Hi

I just changed my VBScript to Deferred Execution. What is next? I still have to put in somewhere in the Sequences right?

thanks

MIB426

MIB426
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:36

HI
I just try add deferred VBScript Custom Action before InstallFinalize.

Now I couldnt get my Propety value from my custom Dialog...

I got no string from Session.Property("UserName")

Is this becos I put my deferred custom Action in wrong place?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:27

I have to admit that my knowledge in this area is somewhat limited.

However "UserName" is a private property, and private properties are not available in the execute sequence. Change the property to be a PUBLIC property (write it in uppercase), and schedule the action with "in-script execution" set to "Deferred".
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:26

You cannot directly access properties from inside a deferred action. You would have to go through CustomActionData (look this up in the help file to find out more).
However if you don't have a rollback action that would undo whatever your custom action did in case the setup is aborted, there's no real benefit in using a deferred action. So you could instead use immediate execution, but need to insert it after InstallFinalize in this case.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 17:46

Stefan, I have experienced some strange result with silent installation for immediate actions put after InstallFinalize. Do you happen to know if it is correct that actions inserted after InstallFinalize are not run during silent install?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MIB426

MIB426
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:09

Thanks for all the input. They help a lot

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:51

In a silent install (/qn) the user interface sequence will not be executed, only the execute sequence is used. However anything you have in the execute sequence, even after InstallFinalize, should work.