This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Self Repairing Issue in MSI's

1 reply to this topic

subsense

subsense
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:52

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I've read several posts concerning the self repairing feature of Windows Installer. But I couldn't find the answer of the following:

We use locked down workstations.
We've got some MSI's in which we set file system permissions for a Domain Security Group. Only that group (+ Local Admins & system) has Change permission to the Default Install Dir.

When a uses logs on which isn't a member of that group, the Windows Installer thinks "Hé, I'm missing some components" and tries to repair the MSI. This won't work because de user hasn't access to the Default Install Dir.

Windows Installer will loop until it will succeed.

It's an Per-user installation (in this case, but I've seen the same with Per-machine installation).

It can be solved by removing all the concerning keypaths.
But isn't there a nicer solution?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 18:44

If it's a per-user install that hasn't been installed for that restricted user, they shouln't see the shortcut and shouldn't run the application.
Did you run validation of your .msi file? You may be mixing per-user and per-machine data.