This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

A Problem I Can't Really Describe....

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:17

I can't even summarize this for the topic of this post. Well, here goes ...

I have an install that works perfectly fine on a users machine. They user has requested that we bypass our User Interface. I can't just use a command argument to silence the install because our Interface gathers various information needed by the process.

I've modified the project to condition the Welcome Dialog to function only in the absence of a 'trigger' .txt file, which will be the target of AppSearch. I also condition a Custom Action to run only if the .txt file is present. This action basically writes/creates another .txt file.

So, on the users system, I've placed the trigger.txt and I initiate the install via setup.exe. What happens is it seems to totally ignore the .txt file and proceeds through the normal UI sequence. The Custom Action, for some reason, does not create the other .txt file.

Again if I try the install outside of the modification to bypass the UI, it functions properly.

I should also add that attempts to recreate this problem where I actually work fail, for lack of a better term, as my bypass mechanism works flawlessly.

I use AppSearch all the time and base conditions on the resulting property value without any problems.

I don't know what could be the problem. The process is fairly simple ... trigger.txt exists, proceed silently or without user intervention ... no trigger.txt file, traverse the normal UI requiring user input.

The only thing I can tell you about the target machine is that is Windows 2000, but that has never caused me any problems before and I can't duplicate the problem on a 2K test machine.

I don't know if there could be some type of security problem, but I doubt it because running the normal process works fine.

The conditions on the Welcome Dialog are Not Installed AND Not Patch AND TRIGGERPROPERTY = "". I would think this is correct, as it doesn't give me problems on any other machines.

I'm not holding out much hope for help on this one, but I'll still hold out hope.

As always, not to be repetitive, but any info. is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 14:24

Do you have a log file? From your description it looks like the .txt file is not found, right? What are your AppSearch and DirLocator entries? What does the log say about the result of AppSerarch? Has your AppSearch action some condition? Did you change the PackageCode?

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 19:07

I am so sorry if I wasted anyone's time. While checking on the user's system this morning, I discovered that they were using a previous cut of this software version that didn not contain the changes to bypass the UI for their testing.

Again, I feel terrible for wasting anyone's time!

I won't take for granted that the user is looking at the right stuff in the future.