This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI deinstall MSI

4 replies to this topic

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 16:44

Hi there,

at first i wish a happy new year to u all.

Now to my question. I have 2 msi (msi1 and msi2) packages and what i need is the following. If the user go to add/remove programms there is only msi1 visible (i deactivated it for msi2). Whe the user uninstall the msi1 it shall be automatically unsinstalled msi2. Is it possible that an msi can uninstall another msi while uninstalling itself?

Regards

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 00:43

Hi, the obvious question is why these two MSI files are separate to begin with if they are always installed and uninstalled together? It might be better to create a merge module for the MSI2 and include it in MSI1?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:48

The first msi file include an apllication made by me. The second msi include an app from somewhere else, not influenced by me. Msi2 can be uninstalled seperatly, just when msi1 is uninstalled msi2 is not longer needed.

Regards

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:59

Ok, it seems to me that i have to write an tool, which deinstalls this msi. But how can i assume that the deinstall processes dont run parralel (this will occur an error). Can run a loop and wait for an reply when the first msi is deinstalls.
I would write this tool in VB.

SatishBandi

SatishBandi
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:52

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to uninstall the MSI2 when you uninstall MSI1.
Here MSI2 is a nested MSI which is installed by MSI1. hence a client entry for this MSI2 will be added to the registry list under regedit.

When you try to uninstall the MSI1, it checks for the client list count and if it is 1 then it uninstalls the MSI2, else if it is other than 1 i.e. say greater than 1 then it implies that there are other applications refering to MSI2 package.. so MSI1 will not uninstall the MSI2.

Regards,
Satish
Satish