This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade to specific setup version

3 replies to this topic

hooifong

hooifong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:22

Hi,

I got some confusion on minor upgrade. Currently i have one installer v2.3 which i need to upgrade only the v2.2. I add one minor upgrade that refer to that version's setup file inside the upgrade view. The InstallShield i'm using is InstallShield X premier and the project type is basic MSI. Then i try to upgrade from v2.2 to v2.3, and it's work. But later when i try to upgrade from v2.1 to v2.3 which i don't wish the upgrade is successful but somehow it still allow the upgrade process run successfully. Can i know is InstallShield will upgrade all the previous version of the application as long as they having same product code?????? If i want to upgrade only specific version of installer, what should i do???

I need help and i appreciate if anyone can reply me as soon as possible... Thanks in advance....

Regards,
hooifong

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:34

You would have to add a check for the old version and prevent installation of the update if it's the wrong version. The Upgrade item will not do that for you. It's maily used to validate that your upgrade will be successful for the version you specified (2.2 to 2.3) but not to prevent upgrades from other versions (like 2.1 to 2.3).
What you are trying to do is not very simple. Start looking at Launch Conditions.

hooifong

hooifong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:44

Thanks for your reply.

That's mean there is no control on which specific previous version of the application will be upgrade by the latest minor upgrade. We need to add such version checking by ourselve before any upgrade start.

Is this problem also happen to patch, small update or quick patch project???

Regards,
hooifong

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:07

That's correct for a msi package. In a patch (msp) package you can exactly specify the earlier version - actually you have to do this because the patch is a difference between the new version and the old version you specify.