This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

RPC Sever unavailable

2 replies to this topic

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 21:41

I've created a setup which has an ocx control as part of the files copied over.  If I select the option to self-register the file, at the end of the setup I get an Ikernel illegal operation and the following error message:

Error removing support files:

the RPC server is unavailable.

This only happens in Win 98 and Me computers.  Program installs fine in NT, 2000 and XP.  Any ideas what is causing this?  Thanks in advance.

Eric

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 00:47

RPC usually means a remote procedure call, but I've not done much with Win9x/Me setups.

I would suggest trying to register the OCX manually to see how that goes and to run a dependency checker such as the one that comes with MS Visual C++.  By the way, you may need to temporarily turn off the self registration on that file to get all your install over.

user posted image

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 15:11

After reviewing the code for my control, I noticed that I don't release the hook that I install during initialization. Normally, it shouldn't be required, because Windows is supposed to do it on DLL unload. But who knows what happens on Win 9x machines.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.