This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Nested Installation

5 replies to this topic

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2001 - 13:39

Hi,

i would like to know how to run a nested installation. i've read that i have to define custom action no. 7, but is the right way of doing that is to save the msi in the binary table of the "father" msi?. can i make an exe of the nested msi, and his files/directories, and then add it to the binary table of the "father" msi, and just call it with CA no. 7?.
i've tried to do that but it always gives me an error 1713.

Can someone please help me understand how to do that?

Thanks.

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 October 2001 - 16:00

I think to install a nested setup it is best to use a CA type 23, this has made me the least problems. If you use a CA type 7, You can get problems when repairing Your installation. If You are calling an msiexec-process to install another setup, then You can do this only in the user sequence, not in the execute sequence. A CA type 23 can be also started in the execute sequence of the setup. Dont forget the deinstall action type 39, if You install an setup nested it is the best to deinstall it also from the setup which has installed it.

Barbara

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2001 - 17:36

Thanks Barbara,

one more question - how am keeping the msi file, i mean the "child" in, would i have to keep it in the binary table, or in the source directory of the parent msi?.
sorry for that, it's just that i find the help file kind of unclear.
if you can give me an small example, that would be great.

Thanks.

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 12:25

If You use the custom action type 23 the MSI file of the nested setup is copied to the source location of Your main setup when You build the whole thing. This means for the nested setup: It must been build with the option not to use setup.exe and it can be only in one language. During the Installation both MSI files, the main and the nested MSI file are copied to the c:\windows\installer directory where they are keeped for reparation and deinstallation. The nested setup can only be deinstalled using its parent setup. If You dont like this, You have change manually some values in the registry (Client entry for the nested setup), but this is a bit tricky.

Barbara

TAL

TAL
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 12:40

Hi Barbara, and thank you for your help...

i managed to run the msi, with the nested installation, thanks again.
but now i have to deal with a problem that the nested installation is not being remove. i used CA no. 39 , and as a target i passed REMOVE~="ALL", but it does not remove the nested, and it gives me an error message 1713.
another question i have - why was the nested installation added to the "add/remove programs"?, what am i doing wrong?.

Thank you for your patient.

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 15:11

I would only use the condition REMOVE. According to some documentation You should use REMOVE=ALL, but REMOVE is noct always set to "ALL" but it contains the names of the features which should be removed.

Barbara