This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SystemFolder on 64bit Vista

1 reply to this topic

HänsG

HänsG
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:17

Hello,

currently our setup uses a custom action (IS) to append lines to the 'services' file under Windows\System32\drivers\etc using the property 'SystemFolder'.

If I run the setup on 64bit Windows Vista, the services file is created under Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\etc . Apparently the 'SystemFolder' property is set to 'SysWOW64' by Windows.

However, our 32bit application still tries to use the 'services' file situated under System32 and obviously, due to the missing entries, it won't run.

Which folder is the correct one to use? Should I change the setup and not use 'SystemFolder' or should the application not be using the System32 folder?

Thanks for any help.

HansG

amitsgupte

amitsgupte
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:24

Hi HansG,

Filesystem redirection might just throw some more light on your problem here.

This might help:
============================================================
File activity from a Win32 process that would normally go to the System32 directory instead goes to a directory named SysWow64. Under the covers, WOW64 silently changes these requests to point at the SysWow64 directory. A Win64 system effectively has two \Windows\System32 directories—one with x64 binaries, the other with the Win32 equivalents.

Taken from: http://msdn.microsof...default.aspx#S4
============================================================

Secondly, about where should the service ideally exist? To my knowledge, if your service\driver is true 64bit, then it should reside in the System32 folder. On the flip side, if it is 32bit then it should be under SysWow64 directory.

Thanks,
Amit