This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WindowsNT 4.0/SP6 problem

5 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:20

Hey all;

During an installation of our product, I put down new versions of odbcint.dll and odbc32.dll if needed.  (By Version then by Date).

The version of both of these are 3.510.3711.0 with a date of 1/22/99.  When doing an installation on a Windows NT4.0 system with Service Pack 6 installed I get the following error:

[ODBC Driver Manager "The ODBC resource DLL [C:\WINNT\System32\odbcint.dll] is a different version than the ODBC driver manager [C:\WINNT\System32\odbc32.dll]. You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation. Press OK to proceed, CANCEL to abort."]

I check the versions and dates of these files in the SP6.  The version is 3.0.28.22 with a date of 11/23/99.

Now checking the readme file that comes with SP6 i found:
"If you install MDAC 2.0 or later after installing SP6, the ODBC Help files Obdcinst.hlp and Obdcinst.cnt will not match the help file for the installed version of MDAC. This is because the ODBC Help file installed by SP6 has the SP6 file date. To work around this, before you install MDAC, delete the files Odbcinst.hlp and Odbcinst.cnt. If you've already installed MDAC, delete the Odbcinst.hlp and reinstall MDAC."

Has anybody else run into a similar problem, and if so how did you fix it?
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:40

SP6 includes MDAC 2.0, but are you putting something on yourself?

Also, your IS script won't be able to delete those files via the standard DeleteFile since they are in SYSTEM32 and for considered protected.  Believe me, I've tried and failed.
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:47

Yes, I am putting down a new version of MDAC.  Not sure what version that is since I'm not using the object, but rather putting down those files independantly.  (Part of the code I inherited).

I have been considering just erasing the whole file group and including the MDAC 2.6 object.

I was also considering checking to see if WinNT and SP6, then adding any odbc files by date only, not version.

What do ya think?
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:58

PS  odbc32.dll version 3.510.3711,0  was included in the MDAC 2.1 SP1a version

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:31

Inhereted code ... gotcha.  But did you change something here to introduce it or has NT4 always had this problem?

In any case, I would be very leary of having a file group try and emulate an MDAC installation.  Either use an IS Object or the real install from MS.  MDAC is critical, and often touchy, area of the OS and not something you want to do piece meal.

Should you go that route, there also some key files you can check to determine what version of MDAC has been applied to the system.  Those being Msdadc.dll and Oledb32.dll under C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\.

Also using the date as your only guideline is a bad idea.  Especially for SYSTEM32 files.  If you're gonna solely rely on anything, then using the version number.
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 17:01

Most likely the problem has always been there.  Our product requires at least SP4 when using NT4.0.  I discovered that QA was only testing with SP4 and not the newer versions.  I, of course, insisted they run a full battery of tests, and that's when the problem appeared.

Thinking about this last night, I decided to rip out the old code and add the MDAC object.  Now, I'm trying to decide if I should use the newest version, or just the version needed(2.1SP1a).  BUt thanks for the info on which files to check, that's going to be important and was something I hadn't thought of yet.

Also, your right about date vs version.

Thanks for the help!  You saved me two bonehead mistakes :)