This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Disable MSI actions for updating xml files

3 replies to this topic

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 16:53

Hello

Does anyone know how to disable the MSI actions for updating xml files if the install type is an upgrade?

Or if it is even possible?

Thanks

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 13:57

What exactly to you mean? Are you talking about updating the XML file during an upgrade? Or are you talking about making changes to the XML files using, for example, the InstallShield custom actions, during an upgrade?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Seany

Seany
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 14:53

Hi

When my application is initially installed it installs an XML file and updates a line of the file based on a property set by the user during the installation. That works fine.
(The XML file set set to 'Never Overwrite')

If an upgrade is performed the XML file is not reinstalled because of the 'never overwrite' so the install attempts to update the XML file already on the machine from the previous install. But because the XML file is now different (it was updated in the initial install) the install does not recognise the line it is meant to update and so seems to add a completely new line. So you end up with two lines in the XML file instead of one.

Really if an XML file exists I don't want to update it at all, so thats why I want to disable XML updates if the install is an upgrade.

Hope that makes sense?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:46

I tried using Installshield's XML update feature, and I stopped using it. It might be better now, but I ended up writing the code myself for more control. By the way, do the two lines added differ in their use of lowercase and uppercase usage? XML is case sensitive.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul