This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SXS Error after upgrading using Merge Module VC8

5 replies to this topic

Alibaba

Alibaba
  • Full Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:53

Hi,

I made an (Major)Upgrade of an Application v1.7.2 > v1.7.3
Both versions using the MergeModule VC8.0 CRT but after the upgrade the app did not start and shows an SXS Error. The manifest in the App did not change.

I thought something was not correct (re)installed but I could not find something missing.
The starnge thing: If I install the VC-Redist .exe afterwards then its working.

I did a search with sxstrace.exe and discovered a strange difference when comparing the situation before and after the additionally VC_Redist .exe Installation:

I write only the first difference in the log-file:
after the Upgrade:
INFORMATION: Sucht nach Herausgeberrichtlinien in "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests/x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4016_none_517205a10f4550e3.manifest".

after upgrade and VC-Redist .exe install:
INFORMATION: Sucht nach Herausgeberrichtlinien in "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests/x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_517205a10f4550e3.manifest".

So I do not understand why Windows Vista is searching for different version for the same application, in other words: Why does it work with the .exe installation and not with the merge module?

Attached you can find the installation log file and the sxstrace log files.

Hope that somebody can solve this cause I have no idea anymore and in other communities there is no answer as well.

Need more info?

Attached Files

Alibaba

Alibaba
  • Full Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:16

No answers? Why? Nobody an idea or nobody understands what I wrote?

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:55

So what has most likely happened is that when you built your newer version an update to visual studio had been applied. In this particular case it updated the redistributable merge modules and libraries your code links against. They are not always 100% backwards compatible IE if you require 6195 and only have 5027 then you will get an error (usually in the event log). Since I am guessing your installer did not change as far as the module you redistribute you need to update it to pull the latest version of that redistributable. We ran into a similar issue with the 2005 redistributables when they pushed out the security update last april.

If you fully update your visual studio and get all the security updates then the modules should be present under c:\program files\common files\merge modules\

Once you have them point your installer to them and it should now contain the 6095 or later versions of the modules at which point your errors should go away.

*note that the exe always contains the latest version of those redistributables but the only way to get them in your product is to include the modules which is why you need to fully update visual studio.

Edited by overlordchin, 28 November 2012 - 16:16.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:28

Maybe the exe installer and the msm contain different versions of the rerdistributable?

Alibaba

Alibaba
  • Full Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:54

Thanks for the answers, but it isn't that trivial. The developer had no merge-modules installed because he did not select it in VS-installation. So I took the latest merge-modules 6195 from an other developer (they should be backward compatible).
So both, the .exe installer and the merge-module installs version 6195 of the VC-CRT module.
I can not find any differnences in windows-sxs-folder after merge module installation and .exe installation. The only difference is in sxstrace.exe. As you can see in my first post it is looking for version 4016 after merge-module installation and fails and if I install the .exe then sxstrace is looking for 6195 and succeeds. I have no idea why...

In the manifest of our app the compiler writes version 4053. I think the easiest way to solve this would be to update the development environment that it writes latest version 6195 within the manifest.

Alibaba

Alibaba
  • Full Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 16:08

Just want to clarify:

there is a known issue with the VC 8.0 MergeModules. In some cases you get issues after a major upgrade.

To fix it you have to use the vc-redist.exe Installation instead of the MMs or follow the instructions here:
http://community.fle...p?t-176078.html

In my case we did not fix it because we never had a customer experiencing this issue, only our test-department run into this issue on a vista system.