This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Application Version Upgrade

4 replies to this topic

TomMurdock

TomMurdock
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 16:02

I have deployed version 1.00 of my application.  How do you get a Dev 7 setup which will (a) detect that 1.00 is installed on the PC and upgrade it to 1.01, and (B) install 1.01 on a PC where there is no pre-existing version?

Thanks in Advance
Tom Murdock
Spring Lake Software, Inc.

colby

colby
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 22:29

I'm doing something similar to this and am having trouble with the behavior.  Anyway, take a look at the help topic "Major Upgrades for Basic MSI and Standard Projects" if you haven't already.  The correct behavior is supposed to be a combination of 1) changing the package code, product version, and product code and 2) adding the upgrade code from the original installation to the Upgrade table of the new installation.

TomMurdock

TomMurdock
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 23:52

Thanks for your comments.  I forgot to mention in my original post - I have been on the phone with InstallShield for the past day or so, trying to make this work.  Their instructions are much the same as you replied, but something isn't quite right yet.  Have uploaded my .ism file to them along with some other stuff, and am awaiting a reply.  When I finally have the answer I will post it here.  I was hoping that perhaps someone on this board had solved this mystery already.
Tom Murdock

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 09:29

In cse of a minor update (i.e. no change of ProductCode) did you look at the instructions here on InstallSite, under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips -> Updates and Patches?

TomMurdock

TomMurdock
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 19:40

After a couple of false starts, my update problem turned out to be a mis-communication of sorts.  To me as a developer, upgrading my product from version 1.0 to 1.1 is a minor upgrade, but to InstallShield, it is classified as a Major upgrade.  Once we figured that out, then setting up the install script properly only took a few minutes.

However, now there is a follow-on problem that I am working on.  After you have updated the product, if you start the CD, it should drop into Maintenance mode, and display the "Re-Install" and "Un-Install" dialog.  It doesn't.  It goes back to the "You are about to install 1.1" screen.

Stay tuned, we aren't quite finished yet.

Thanks to those who have responded to my original post.
Tom Murdock