This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Updating a Readme.Txt

3 replies to this topic

James_dean

James_dean
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:23

I want to automatically allow for changes made to my readme file within my setp.exe. The only way i can update changes at the moment is to rebuild my project. I think i need to have some kind of cutom action to overwrite the readme. Could someone please inform me the simplest and easiest way to do this.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 17:26

I don't undertsand when and where you want to update the readme.txt. Pre-build on your build machine - then the best way is to rebuild your package. At install time - yes you could use a custom action to copy the file from whereever (where would that be? your installation CD?) to the destination computer.

James_dean

James_dean
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:12

I am sorry my previous message was unclear and thanks for your reply.Yes i will have a copy of the readme.txt on the installation CD. When changes are made they want to update the readme.txt, then when i install the package again the readme file will be overwritten with the changed readme on the CD. This is for testing purposes. When a bug is found they want to update the setup.exe readme file with the changed readme. I have never used vbscript before so i don't know what to do. If there was some setting inside installshield i could use to update it every time it would be great but i guess i need to write a vbscript. Any ideas.
Thanks in advance.......

James_dean

James_dean
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:41

I know rebuilding is the easiest way but the testers do not have installshield installed on their machines so its not an option i am afraid.....