This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch applied, but components not changed

3 replies to this topic

AntonS

AntonS
  • Full Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 14:40

Hello!

I create a patch (.MSP) with two Windows Installer databases using MsiMsp.Exe and PatchWiz.dll, shipped with Platform SDK and .PCP file.
When I try to apply a patch, Properties of Windows Installer Repository is patched, but all components, including files and registry keys remains from old version.

Code for every component in Target and Upgraded components differ.

In every system installed Windows Installer 2.00

If it helps, I can create verbose logs for any operation.

Attached:
Patch Creation Properties file (.PCP) I use when create a patch.

Thank you.

Attached Files

Sincerely your,
Anton Spitsyn
http://www.installsite.ru

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 14:42

Did you perform a reinstall as part of the patch application process? This is required to actually update the files etc.

AntonS

AntonS
  • Full Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 15:23

Further investigation, when I change ProductCode in Ugraded Image and it is differ to Target Image, actually installation of components (files and registry keys) perform.

But after patching I receive two separate products in system. This two products during uninstall will remove particular components.

Most probably I not perform actually updates of components.

According to you suppose, in log file of patch apply contain no action with component installation and registration. How I can add this activities to patch?

Attachment:
Patch apply verbose log

Thank you

Attached Files

Sincerely your,
Anton Spitsyn
http://www.installsite.ru

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:31

If you don't change the ProcutCode you're performing a Small or Minor update. In this case double clicking the .msp file will only update the information in the cached .msi database but not the actual application files. You must set REINSTALL=ALL on the command line or from a control event to update the application files. See the MSI docs and the Updated and Patches section here on InstallSite for more information.

If you change the ProductCode you're perfoming a Major Upgrade. In this case you should popular the Upgrade table which will result in a uninstall of the old version and installation of the new version. Again, please see the MSI docs for details. If you don't populate the Upgarde table MSI will see two different products (two different product codes) and therefore install them sidy-by-side, with the effect of two ARP entries.

Note that the new recommendation from Microsoft is that Major Upgrades should NOT be distributed as patches (.msp) but as full .msi packages.