This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Per-Machine Install with Elevated Privileges

2 replies to this topic

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 15:17

Using IS DevStudio9 SP 1

We have an InstallScript MSI package that is always installed per-machine (ALLUSERS = 1). We have customers in an Active Directory environment that want to install as users rather than as administrators and we're evaluating a conversion to a Basic MSI to facilitate them better.

In the meantime, I had read that setting the system policy AlwaysInstallElevated in both the HKLM and HKCU hives would allow them to install our package as users with elevated privileges, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I test our package as a user (but not in an ADS environment) I get a 1406 error when the package attempts to write to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole key.

So my question is, what exactly does AlwaysInstallElevated do? And what, if any, magic combination of policy and property settings would allow users to install with elevated privileges for a per-machine installation?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

(P.S. Our field installers are telling me that they are currently working around the problem by either installing as an administrator, or by preparing an SMS package for our installation. Neither of these is a good solution for the customers who want to distribute our package through Active Directory.)
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 20:07

Please generate a log file of your install to see whether it is really installing with elevated privileges.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:07

You could try to populate the LockPermission table. Check it out here:
http://www.installsh...ticles/lock.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul