This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade Problem

7 replies to this topic

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 13:27

Hi All,

I am using installshield 10.5 professinal - Admin studio edition[basic msi project].
First time I have created my installer setup xxxxx.msi file(Product Version 1.0), installed into the target machine, because this is first time installtion so it displayed all the dialogs.
Ex: Welcome dialog,EULA dialog, Setup Type dialog, Destination dialog,Setup Progress dialog, Finish dialog.

After that i made changes to the application like files have been changed, GUI Changes (so it's major upgrade ), so i have changed Product Version to 2.0 also changed Package code, product code.

I am trying to install my latest build in the same mahine (Normally installer first should identify weather it is a first time installer or not ? anyway my application is already installed so it's not a first time installation) then installer first should uninstall and then it should install it right?. but the problem is once again it's installing as a first time installation. i do not know why it is behaving like this? (Previoulsy many times i did like this, it used to behave correctly, but suddenly i do not know what happend???!!!!!!)

Please can any one suggest me how to solve this serious problem?

Advance thanks.

Best regards,
Prathap

Edited by reddy611, 15 November 2006 - 14:17.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 15:17

You must add a Major Upgrade entry in the Upgrades view to make it uninstall the old version automatically. Installation of the new version will behave like a first time install, this is the default behaviour for a Major Upgrade (it's different for Small and Minor Updates if you don't change the ProductCode). You can control the dialogs that are displayed. You can use the upgrade property (Upgrade View > Advanced) to condition the dialogs.

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:38

Thank you Stefan Krueger.

I already made an upgrade entry in the upgrade view. Upgrade view-->Advanced--> style- complete uninstall then reinstall.

we already released one buld to the customer, now we are going to release the new build. So it's should uninstall completely then insall this new build.

Requirement: If you are installing application first time it should install successfully(it's happening, so no issues), but if you are installaing next time installer first should uninstall completely, then it should install like a fresh installation.

Please help me how to solve this problem, also please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.

thanks in advance,
Prathap

Edited by reddy611, 16 November 2006 - 08:23.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:57

Did you also: Media > Upgrades > Prepare Setup for Upgrade Scenarios > Upgrade Windows Installer Setup (here you made the Advanced setting) > Right Click > Add Major Upgrade Item ?

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 13:31

Thank you Stefan Krueger .

Ok after that what you want me to do, could you please suggest me.

Regards,
Prathap

Edited by reddy611, 16 November 2006 - 14:24.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 17:52

Once you've added this "Major Upgrade Item" rebuild your setup and thest the major upgrade.

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:05

Thank you Stefan Krueger.

if i do not change the package code then upgrade is working fine.

But i have read Installshield help file, if it is major upgrade it's required to change the version number, package code, product code. but you are saying it's only required to change the version number and Product code ?

Best regards,
Prathap

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 16:14

You must ALWAYS change the PackageCode whenever you rebuild your setup. Same PackageCode means identical .msi file.