This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall: New files/folders created by an app aren't deleted

1 reply to this topic

mal100

mal100
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:46

I inherited an MSI install project (MSVS 2010 VDPROJ).  It has normal stuff, DLL's, EXE's, some data files, a few COM registry tasks, 2 shortcuts, and a few parent folders, each with a relatively simple subfolder hierarchy.  Install works fine and the app works fine.  (Note that the install is done with msiexec.exe + a few command line parameters to set custom properties.)  But in running the actual app, some additional/new data files are created and maybe an extra subfolder or 2, all within the defined folders created during the install.  I find that these new files/folders are not removed during an uninstall.  Is there some secret flag/setting in a VDPROJ that I need to set so that ~everything~ is removed?  (I have access to the complete VDPROJ set of files, properties, etc.)  I don't want to have to resort to using ORCA to "fix" the MSI directly.  Thanks for any help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 16:42

Files that the application creates after installation are considered user data (e.g. documents) and not deleted by default. You need to populate the RemoveFile table in the MSI or use a custom action to delete the user generated files.