This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Checking compliance with version 2.0

5 replies to this topic

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 20:02

Hi,

Because there are no reditributables for MSI3 for win9x and because we support win9x, I have to build installers that are compliant with MSI2.

But since the installers are built on XP SP2 (with MSI3.1), how can I be sure that the output is compliant with MSI 2? unsure.gif

Thank you,

Sophie

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:13

There is no difference in the msi file between MSI 2 and MSI 3. The only differences are in patches (.msp files) and in the runtime behaviour (msi runtime).

In addition you can run a validation of the built msi file on a machine that has MSI 2 installed. And of course you should thoroughly test your setup on all supported operating systems.

fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 19:15

My question falls right in line with this so I figure I would jump in smile.gif

Anyhow, I'm *just* starting to learn MSI and like the original poster of this thread, I have to support Win9x. What I've been trying to find on the MS site (to no avail) is a 2.0 snapshot of their documentation. They do this for some of their products (like their XML docs) and I'm hoping they do the same for MSI.

One of my questions has been partially answered in this thread, but I need to figure out precisely what I can't do vs. what I can do and still be 2.0 compliant. I understand from my reading thus far that many of the changes in MSI 3.x has to do with patching capabilities, but I'm not clear on what is available for 2.0 (with respect to patching). Also, as I cruise through the documentation, I'll be reading something only to get to the bottom of the topic and it says "must have MSI 3.x".

So does a 2.0 snapshot of the MSI documentation exist?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 17:54

usually everything that requires MSI 3 will have a note at the bottom of the topic stating this.
Also in the Introduction of the docs there are topics "What's new in version ..." so you can see a list of the most relevant changes from 2 to 3.
Anyway, a MSI file created with MSi 3 should work properly on MSI 2. Tehre are some differences, like the amout of diagnostic log output.
So you mainly have to worry about the difference if you create .msp patches. MSI 3 has patch sequncing and a baseline cache, therefore use a Small updates (that don't change the product version number ) is recommended for small fixes.
MSI 2 doesn't have this sequencing so you must use Minor Updates (update the product version number) if you want to enforce a seuence for the apllication of multiple patches. This will work on both MSI 2 and MSI 3 the same.
On MSI 3 small updates are preferred because they can leverage the baseline cache that was introduced with MSI 3. A Minor Updates basically invalidates that cache.

fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 18:48

I appreciate the info, thanks!

dtieuf

dtieuf
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 18:57

It helped me as well. Thank you both smile.gif