This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Out of Space With Our Software Updates

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 14:24

This seems odd. All of a sudden, our installations are reporting Out of Disk space, however, the sizes displayed in the dialog are more than enough for what is required.

Here is the scenario: Let’s say I install version 1.00.0001 of our software on a clean machine. This installation goes off without a hitch. Now, when I try to install 1.00.0002, the installation reports inadequate space via the Out of Space dialog. Again, the sizes shown here are more than enough to accommodate this release. If I remove version 1.00.0001 first and then install 1.00.0002, the installation is successful.

I'll add that in our installs, I moved RemoveExistingProducts action after InstallFinalize to work around previous problems we were having (files created during the install were being removed with this action). We've been operating under this change for over a year without problem.

What could be causing this sudden Out of Space notification?

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 16:24

The installer will need to keep a backup of the old version while installing the new version, in case the install fails and it needs to roll back. So temporarily it will require about twice the size. The backup will be removed once the update has been installed successfully. To find out if that's the cause for your problem, specify DISABLEROLLBACK=1 on the command line.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 19:59

Another interesting thing I just noticed ... The Out of Space dialog does not have a drive highlighted which might pinpoint the problem. Both drives are listed, but neither is highlighted as the problem, I guess because there is adequate space on both.

What would cause the dialog to appear?

How can I enact the DISABLEROLLBACK=1 change. What is the actual command line? Is this done in the setup.ini? Will this still come into play even though RemoveExistingProducts occurs after the InstallFinalize action?

Thanks for any additional info!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:36

If you built your setup with InstallShield you can add DISABLEROLLBACK=1 to the CmdLine entry in setup.ini