This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How can we install merge module conditionally??

5 replies to this topic

vipul

vipul
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2001 - 17:35

Hi,
Can anybody tell me how I can install merge module conditionally?
I am using Installshield Proffesional Windows Installer Edition..and I want to create setup that will give a option to user whether one  feature (Merge module) of application should be installed or not. So according to user choice it should be installed or not.

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 February 2001 - 18:41

I don't use IS, so I can't tell you how to implement it through your packager, but one approach would be to associate the merge module with a specific 'feature' in your MSI database.  Set the Install Level for the Feature to a higher number than the rest of the 'usual' features.  Then use the SetupTypeDlg in the standard UI to set the install level for the package to a number lower than the level associated with the optional feature when Typical is selected, equal or higher when Complete is selected, and use the CustomizeDlg to set the install level of selected features when Custom is selected.  If you default the selection of the feature to not install, then you force the user to select the feature from the optional list.  On the other hand, you can use the Complete selection to simply dump everything to the user's drive.

vipul

vipul
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2001 - 19:05

Hi,
Your approach is right. I had already tried to apply that. But I am not get appropriate result in Installshield Windows Installer Environment.
In tool,There is one property for feauter called INSTALLLEVEL. If INSTALLLEVEL is higher than some value, set up will not install that feuters. But when it is lower than that value feature will be installed.  I tried to set this property run time using Check box control in user dialog box.  What i did, I set But INSTALLLEVEL value is no set appropriately.
So this is problem..
Anyway Thanx..
Vipul

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 February 2001 - 19:45

Vipul,

I understand you to be saying that you are having problems setting the install level at runtime, and that you are using a Check Box control to make the change.  I suspect part of the problem may be that InstallLevel is a private property, and so far as I know the only way to change it is by using a SetInstallLevel control event.

You may want to use ORCA or some other MSI editor to take a look at the CheckBox control in your dialog.  It must be mapped to a SetInstallLevel event in the ControlEvent Table rather than simply mapping to a SetProperty action.  SetProperty, so far as I know, may only be valid for Public properties.

At any rate, if your checkbox control is already mapped to the SetInstallLevel action, then I am out of suggestions for that method.

The other thing to try may be to use the Condition Table to modify the install level of the Feature rather than the install level of the package.  Then you can test the value of your checkbox and set the feature install level with a conditional statement.  One thing you have to do is to ensure that the checkbox value is set prior to the Cost Finalize action.

Either approach should work if you can get to the underlying tables.

vipul

vipul
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 20:01

Thanx steve..it's working.
What mistake i did is that I set checkbox value after CostFinalize action. So I just put it before that..and I got it work. But plz tell me know how CostFinalize affect this type of situation??
Thanx once again..
Vipul