This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1628

1 reply to this topic

BobRouse

BobRouse
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 16:40

I get the dreaded error 1628 ("Failed to complete the Installation") error after the installation actually completes successfully. The last lines of the MSI log file are:

Action start 14:36:11: CostFinalize.
Action ended 14:36:11: CostFinalize. Return value 1.
1: Creating uninstallation information...
1: Failed to create uninstallation information, error is 0x80020008

After looking at existing topics, I looked into these items:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products: I did not find any key or value with the product GUID

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information: I did not find any keys or values at all (for ANY product)

C:\Program Files\Installshield Installation Information\{GUID}\: The directory existed, but no file

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID}: This key was created and populated (Although the Install location and size are blank)

I also tried changing the Product, Upgrade, and Package GUIDS, but the results are the same. This is an install that used to work, although I've removed some components, and added new ones. Some of the new components are .NET DLLs and EXEs, in case that matters.

I am using IS Dev 7.03 (and have been - successfully - since it became available in beta). Any suggestions are appreciated...
Bob Rouse
Netuitive, Inc.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 13:24

when you are looking for information about a MSI Product you will/might be able to find the information in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID} registry key.  however if you are to look in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products registry key you WILL NOT see the MSI Product ( although information might be written under a specific SID you will not find the product ).

in their infinite wisdom ms has decided to tie the msi registry information for a product togehter using a translated GUID.  this results in your have to perform a GUID translation on the information found in the uninstall key and then searching for this in the other areas of the MSI Registry Database...

try the install again with verbose logging turned on and then run it through a good log analyzer...