This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install over same version without repair/uninstall

3 replies to this topic

simono

simono
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:52

Hi,

I want to modify my msi file either in the origal vs.net(2002) or using Orca so that if there is already a installation of the same version or less it will overwrite without prompting to repair or unistall.

e.g.

4.0 is already installed

4.0 or greater will install without repair/uninstall
3.9 can not be installed

So the main problem is when you try to overwrite version 4.0 with version 4.0,

Can anyone help

cheers,

Simon

Edited by simono, 26 October 2004 - 11:53.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:38

To build a Minor Update (no change in ProductCode): Make sure you change the PackageCode. Then use a launcher exe that will check if the program is alsready installed, and passes REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL to your package.
For a Major Upgrade change the ProductCode and set the flag to uninstall the old version. Adjust the conditions on the dialogs to make sure you get only thiose dialogs you want in case of an update.

simono

simono
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 13:45

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for responding.

I didn't necessarilly want this to coincide with a minor (or major) update just that the user can simply run the full installation again of exactly the same software version (most likely from the same CD as the first install) without it thinking I want to repair or uninstall it.

Is this possible,

cheers,

Simon

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 14:43

What else would he want by re-running the installation?