This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI broken

1 reply to this topic

Russ_T

Russ_T
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:34

Hello all,

We have an old RAS server that has a broken install of MSI. You try to install anything and you get

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

It's not in safe mode and I guess I'm the support personnel. Of course no install will work, including the MSI installer which I would hope MS would have thought to install in a different way, incase you were trying to install it to fix it... grrr mad.gif

Anyway if anyone has a means to reinstall MSI using another means or can tell me what files I need to copy across from another NT4 server box I'd appreciate it. We have tried copying MSIexec.exe (I think thats it) and MSI.dll from another machine but this hasn't helped. Also the service doesn't stop cleanly but starts fine.

Any help or advice you can give (other than throwing NT4 away and going to XP) would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Russ

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:39

See this url: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319624
Regards
-Stein Åsmul