This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to rollback the install if it fails

2 replies to this topic

baomisl

baomisl
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 09:38

I'd like to know how to rollback the install if it fails.  Basically, my install does alot of errors checking during the install (Before and after moving files to system).  If it detects error, "abort" function will be called. The abort function seems to work before setup moves files to system.  However, if the install aborts after Onmoving...., install causes system in bad state and nothing else I can do except reinstall OS.
I've read a bit about Windows Installer and it's rollback feature.  Does anyone know  if MSI's rollback feature can be used in IS6 and how to?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 20:14

You cannot use MSI's rollback in IS6. Rollback is a feature of the Windows Installer engine, so you would have to create a MSI Setup to use it. (You could upgrade to InstallShield Developer for that purpose)

When you abort a IS6 setup is should perform a silent uninstall. However that's not always the desired result. You could try to code this all by yourself, but then I would suggest you use MSI instead of reinventing the wheel.

Andy

Andy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 14:01

Hi I have a similar problem in IS 6.12 if the setup does not complete for some reason, when I select remove on the dialog it doesnt do a complete uninstall and I have to re-install os.

Any ideas.
Cheers