This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaging checklist

6 replies to this topic

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:40

When repackaging and deploying applications there are many pitfalls. I am new to repackaging, but want to list a few issues I have discovered here. Hopefully many people have things to add:
  • The obvious first: you need a CLEAN computer when doing repackaging. After trusting the repackaging tool cleanup for a while I have now resorted to complete re-imaging with Norton Ghost for every packaging process.
  • Run SFC.exe on the packaging computer before making the base image
  • If you work in a domain make sure the image you create is NOT added to the domain
  • Try to write only to HKLM\Software
  • Look through the capture info from the repackaging applications. Should be obvious, but I never read it close enough. Very frequently there is hardware and event information in there
  • Make sure your packaging library is stored in a location that makes it survive reimaging processes
  • Try to convert all repackaged applications to MSI (to prevent legacy setups from replacing system files)
  • Enable any tracing features provided by the packaging tool
  • Familiarize yourself with the application you are packaging.
  • For old *.hlp files (help files). Open them, go to the search tab and generate the search index file (*.fts) after installation. This prevents problems with users who do not have write access to the directory where the *.hlp file is located.
  • Open the application after installation and have it create any indexes and data files it needs
  • Try to put all files on a single partition. When you add files to a different drive such as D:\ the setup might fail on a computer which does not have a D:\ drive
  • Don't delete files while repackaging, you may end up with links pointing to a SID specific recycle bin entry. Very nasty! If you need to delete something, do SHIFT + delete.
  • Map all network drives and similar BEFORE you start capturing
  • If you are provided with an MSI to begin with, and it doesn't look too scary, don't repackage it (unless something breaks).
  • If you get an MSI to deploy with HKCU registry entries, move them to a separate feature (make it hidden), create a new top level feature and put all features underneath this top level feature. Add a single component to the top level feature with a key path to HKCU\Software\Company\Product\Version\. HKCU data should be repaired when users log on provided the cached MSI is avialable and the application is invoked through an advertised shortcut.
  • If you get an MSI with mixed per machine and per user data (such as a file installed to %PROGRAMFILES% with a HKCU registry key). Call the original setup developer and yell at him/her and then split these items up into two separate components
Anybody with knowledge of deployment through Active Directory?

Edited by Glytzhkof, 29 July 2004 - 09:46.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:01

Some more:

* Make sure all software installs under "Program files" and don't put anything on the root.

* When capturing software it is not always possible to update the name of what you are capturing. Make the name correct right away.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:50

And more:

Always make sure you mark each packaged product with the appropriate OS you know it can run on. Seems generally better to mark it as deployable to any OS, than to risk not being able to deploy to an OS because the package is marked as OS specific.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

huckey

huckey
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:18

perhaps you should look into vmware or connectix...

ghost is pretty slow in comparison.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 13:36

QUOTE (huckey @ 2004-09-17 06:18)
perhaps you should look into vmware or connectix...

Agreed. However Virtual PC is now a Microsoft product, no longer Connectix. The good news is that Virtual PC is now included in most MSDN subscriptions.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 15:04

I find Virtal PC amazingly slow, but I have used VMWare with good results. Apparently VMWare is a lot better for disk access, whereas Virtual PC may be faster for processing. This is something I have been told, never tested it.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HahtokariMika

HahtokariMika
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:58

I have deployed several packages trough AD. Nothing special recarding repackagin

Mika Hahtokari