This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Allowing client side customizations

1 reply to this topic

Richard Paluzzi

Richard Paluzzi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 19:07

Hello All,

New to the listing and the technology of windows installer and was hoping someone out there might be able to offer some guidance. Currently our company is in the process of re-writing our install packages, which are presently written with InstallShield 7 and a script based approach, and we’re looking to switch over to a pure windows installer approach. The first big problem I’ve run into is that currently when we deliver packages to our client’s admins, they have the expectation of being able to modify our installs to the point where they can both add extra files and also edit various files we’ve delivered and re-package those changes up in the install before sending it out to their users. In researching the windows installer technology I see the only viable approach seems to be using transform files to generate these changes on top of the msi delivered. My question is two fold: is this the best/only approach with windows installer or is there another route I could go? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 18:55

Presumably the client has simply opened up your InstallShield package and altered it in the past? There's nothing to stop him/them doing the same with your MSI.

At pretty much most companies I've worked for, however, the rule has been to NEVER alter the vendor's MSI and always to use in-house transforms. If you mess with the MSI, you get zero support - how can the vendor (you) guarantee the installer if it's been messed with?

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.