This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Operating System upgrade

3 replies to this topic

Chloe

Chloe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 13:25

The product I am working on is looking to get XP logo certification. To get this it must be able to migrate from earlier versions of windows. Unfortunately this isn't possible without uninstalling and reinstalling the XP-specific version.
Is there a way to detect that the OS is upgrading so that a product can be reinstalled? huh.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:25

I'm not sure if the requirement is to automatically reinstall the product. It may be suffient to initiate the reinstall (repair) from control panel. You would have both versions in your setup, that is some components specific to XP, some specific to other OS versions. Put the proper conditions on these components (using VersionNT property) and mark the components as "transitive" ("reevaluate condition").

Chloe

Chloe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:54

Yes, running the install again would also work, we already have the XP and Win2K specific files in the same installer. The question is: how does the installer know it has to run again?

Actually, re-reading the Microsoft documentation, perhaps it is enough to just document the fact that the user will have to run the installation again if they update their OS to WinXP (?)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:18

Yes, I think this may be correct. But the final authority is VeriTest.
In any case you need to make sure that you have set Reevaluate Condition to Yes.