This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to force a merge module not to uninstall

5 replies to this topic

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 18:37

Here's the problem I'm running into. I want to be able to NOT uninstall a merge module if a commandline property is passed to msiexec /x DONTUNINSTALLMM=1.

The merge module and msi file are in-house which means we have full control what goes in and out of it.

In the merge module, I've added the condition DONTUNINSTALLMM=0 for every component in the component table.

In the main msi file, there is a property called DONTUNINSTALLMM and it is set to 0 by default.

Can someone tell me why when I perform an uninstall

using msiexec /x "some.msi" DONTUNINSTALLMM=1

the files that are associated with the merge module are deleted?

Any help or alternative ways of solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:26

If you want files to be left behind during uninstall you can mark the component as permanent. There is no different between components in merge modules and components in your main install.

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 15:31

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-10-03 18:26)
If you want files to be left behind during uninstall you can mark the component as permanent. There is no different between components in merge modules and components in your main install.

Stefan,

I only want the merge modules not to uninstall in some cases not all. Any idea how I can get this to work?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:14

In this case you shouldn't fully uninstall the product that includes these components.

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 20:21

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-10-05 07:14)
In this case you shouldn't fully uninstall the product that includes these components.

Is it possible to not uninstall the product completely if I pass, say, a command line parameter UNINSTALLDOCS=0

and in the Component table for each component's condition I wish to leave behind, set it to UNINSTALLDOCS=1

This appears to fail. I was wondering if there's an alternative way of doing this. Perhaps a way that i'm not aware of.

Any help again would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:06

You could say:
REMOVE=Feature1,Feature2