This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Access denied" to certain DLL's

1 reply to this topic

360freq

360freq
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:34

I ran the Dial-a-fix program which repairs issues with SSL/Cryptography, Windows Update, Microsoft Installer etc. As it was running I had the Win 2000 CD in the CD-R to pull whatever DLL's it required, or that were missing.. but these returned errors:

C:\WINNT\system32\appwiz.cpl
C:\WINNT\system32\browseui.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\cdfview.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\cscui.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\dsuiext.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\dsquery.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\dskquoui.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\netplwiz.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\occache.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\sendmail.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\shdocvw.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\wuaueng.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\appwiz.cpl

the errors were:
"Access is denied".."Unspecified error" or "Unable to invoke subscribers".

A few months ago, I did a recent upgrade to the current version of Win 2000.. so all my system files should be uncorrupted and available. I'm not a technician, but most of you are. Can anyone here shine a light on why this happened or what I need to do?

My system runs fine (besides a Windows Installer "Start" issue). Do they need to be re-registered or enabled in the Component Services? I don't know what they are related to.

~thanks in advance, 360freq

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:43

Two things may be going on here.

First, it could be that the account you're using has insufficient privileges to overwrite files in the 'Windows' folder and sub-folders.

Second, the files may be protected by System File Protection/Windows File Protection.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.