This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade from old installer to new installer

3 replies to this topic

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 12:25

I don't  know anytthing about upgrading an MSI product and this is probably a stupid question, but I need to know. My original installer was made with InstallShield 6.1. Now I got the new InstallShield Windows installer v2.03. Is it possible to make an upgrade/update with the new MSI installer that works with the old  installer.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 12:31

These installers use totally different technology.

What you can do is: read registry values and search from files in the new installer to detect the install location of the old version, then overwrite existing files with the newer version. You should also remove the old uninstall registry entry. As an alternative you can invoke the uninstaller of the old version from the new setup.

Mike Snodgrass

Mike Snodgrass
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 22:30

Is there a best method of doing such actions?  

I am in the same boat, and have tried many routes to this destination, with no luck.  I've tried to search for the registry key that I have the installation path stored in, but since the previous developer created this key with a value of   "c:\program files\company name\folder"  including the " ", InstallShield doesn't recognize it as a directory when I search for it via AppSearch, RegLocator, Signature, and DrLocator tables.  

So, I tried an alternate method, Signature, DrLocator, and AppSearch, looking for the file, in a folder, and then installing to that folder.  No luck here either.

Since the end user could have installed to a different location than our suggested one, we need to search for it and install the updated .dll file to that same location.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 17:31

Have you tried AppSearch with RegLocator and "raw" data type? And them maybe a custom action of type "set a directory"? If that doesn#t owk you may have to build a custom action to remove the quotes (DLL or InstallScript for instance)