This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1722

9 replies to this topic

RayF

RayF
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 14:32

After deinstalling IS7 Developer i want to install ISWI 1.5. On the welcome page the following runtime error appears:

Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program runas part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact ....

btw: After deinstalling ISD7 the MSI 2.0 engine is still there. Is this the problem?

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 20:16

I had a similar problem.  I installed Developer 7 over top of ISWI 2.03 and then decided to uninstall Dev 7.  It did leave the 2.0 engine which completely screwed up the functionality of 2.03 in the development environment.  I saw some documents on MSDN talking about reverting back to the 1.2 engine, but they envolved some registry hacking which seemed a bit to risky to be reliable.  To make a long story short I put copies of my installs on the network and reloaded the machine, then copied the installs back and all was well with the world.

Probably not the best answer but the errors went away

Krut

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 18:29

I have a 1722 but from a different place.  This managed to make it in the field and is reported by a client.  (We are experiencing a (guestimated) 6% failure rate in the field due to this.)

Some Windows 2000 Professional machines are reporting this error near the end of the "generating scripts..." part of the execute sequence.

I found a machine in the shop that showed the same fault.  It was one that was upgraded from '98SE to Win2kPro.  So I FDISK the machine and installed 2k straight away and I didn't see the error.  So it's probably not hardware.

Can anyone suggest what makes some machines complain and not others?

TIA

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 19:59

Kurt,

Could you please send the url where you found documents that explains about reverting back to MSI 1.2 engine?

Thanks in advance.

magdaservente

magdaservente
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 14:35

Hi, we have an install package created with Install Shield Express. One of our clients is getting a 1722 error when he tries to install the software in a Windows 98 machine. We cannot reinstall Windows, nor format his computer

Does anyone know a solution or workaround to this problem?

Regards,
Magdalena

amac

amac
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 12:33

Hi,
I have also a 1722 error on a Laptop with W2K. On a few other workstations the IS Installation worked fine. It is not possible to make a new W2K Installation. Does anyone can help me!?

Helmut

Helmut
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 14:54

I had the 1722 error near the end of the "generating scripts..." part of the execute sequence of the installer. The error was generated by a custom action invoking custom code.
Indeed the message already gave a hint: " ... A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected... ", although it is very general and there is no status passed through.
My lesson learnt: Log output from the custom code executed in any custom action which results in this error.

JonKS

JonKS
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 09:54

I have the same problem and I have traced it to the scripting runtime (scrrun.dll) install I perform as a custom install.  I install it on win98 by using ste51en.exe)

Here is part of the log file it creates.

Action ended 19:26:49: InstallFinalize. Return value 1.
MSI © (D7:B3): Skipping action: Install2KScripting (condition is false)
MSI © (D7:B3): Doing action: Install9XScripting
Action start 19:26:49: Install9XScripting.
MSI © (D7:B3): Note: 1: 1722 2: Install9XScripting 3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\MSIA315.TMP 4: /q:a /r:n
MSI © (D7:B3): Product: RM Starting Graph -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action Install9XScripting,

Action ended 19:26:52: Install9XScripting. Return value 3.

A quick look in the windows temp dir, while the error is still on screen, shows that the MSIA315.TMP file does not exist.
in any case, why is it trying to launch a tmp file.  Shouldn't it be ste51en.exe?

The scrrun.dll on the system is successfully upgraded by the time the error message appears.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 15:49

When Windows Installer extracts your exe from the binary table it uses a tmp name for it, so that's okay. If the scripting install finished successfully maybe the tmp file has already been cleaned away when you checked the directory.

The real question is: in your custom action that launches ste41en.exe did you select to ignore the return code? You should always do this when launching exes.

Windows Installer only accepts 0 as rault code for success. Any other return code will be treated as failure and cause the setup to abort. Now many install packages return a different code e.g. to indicate that a reboot is required. (Therefore the problem only occurss on some machines)

Chris0

Chris0
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:19

HI,

I am getting error code 1722, when uninstalling the package.  This is then followed by Error code 1603.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Chris