This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Service marked for deletion...

3 replies to this topic

subodh_jai

subodh_jai
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 13:31

Hi,

I have an install requirement where I need to remove and install a service during the installation, While doing so I can see that service removal and installation works fine and service is getting installed ok, however as soon as I reboot the system service gets deleted from the system.

I tried checking the reg operations using regmon but could not find anything significant during the installation however when I enable the boot options in regmon and checked the logs I could find that services.exe has deleted the service during the boot.

This service works pretty much standalone and does not have any dependency, also the service was stopped before the uninstall and install. Please advice what could have been the trigger for the service deletion. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Subodh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 14:27

If you try to manually do the same (stop service, delete service files) does that work?
Did you check HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations (after your setup has run but before you reboot)? You can also use this tool: http://technet.micro...s/bb897556.aspx

subodh_jai

subodh_jai
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:36

Hi Stefen,

Thanks for your reply, I checked pendingfilerename reg key but could not find any entry there (even key was not present), I also ran the tool you have suggested but the result was same.

I also tried the same operation manually (not from the MSI) and It was working fine service was not removed during reboot.

Regards,
Subodh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:09

So if PendingFileRenameOperations is empty you need to find out who else is deleting the file. Maybe ProcessMonitor from SysInternals will help.