This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Existing file not updated during patch

5 replies to this topic

widboom

widboom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 13:38

I have generated a patch using ISWI 2.01 to update some software from version 3.00 to 3.05.  The patch will update the main exe file but will not update a program database (apc.mdb).  The modified date is newer on the apc.mdb file, but its file size is smaller.  Whenever the patch is run, the original apc.mdb file is used.

Thanks for any assistance.
 Nick

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 17:33

If the modified date of a versionless file is more recent than its create date, MSI doesn't overwrite it (to preserve user data). You could delete the file using the RemoveFile table.

widboom

widboom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 20:15

I have tried deleting the file before running the patch.  It reinstalls the original file (not the new file in the patch).  I added it to the RemoveFile, this didn't make any difference.  Also, the database file is opened in read-only mode so its modified date does not change after installation.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
 NIck

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 06:41

Is it the key file of a component? If not, is the key file updated?

widboom

widboom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 15:11

Yes, it is the key file and only file in the component.   I did find a work around.  I deleted the original component that included the apc.mdb file and created a new component to contain the updated apc.mdb file.  It appears to be installing correctly now.  Do I have to do anything special with the old component?

Thank you for your assistance on this issue.

(Edited by widboom at 3:34 pm on Oct. 27, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 08:45

This will only work with MSI 2.0. If another application uses the same file, it will break when you uninstall. No file should ever exist in more than one component.