This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Product Configurations - Upgrade Codes

4 replies to this topic

vrapp

vrapp
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 17:06

In IS2010 I create Basic MSI project with several Product Configurations. Most users will install only one product, but some will install more than one on the same machine. Some future upgrades are expected. Should I specify unique Product Code for each configuration (I guess I should, otherwise "Another version of this product is installed") and unique Upgrade Code?

thanks

varunAdb

varunAdb
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:23

If you require two configurations to co-exist, you need different product codes.

However, upgrade code depends upon how you are going to upgrade. If you keep the upgrade code unique for both the configurations(which co-exists on same machine), then on major upgrade you may end up removing both the configurations from the system. So, if you expect to keep upgrade channel different, you should provide different upgrade codes.

Lance Snead

Lance Snead
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:11

I have a similar situation with a Basic MSI project.  I have two product configurations under releases with both containing different Product and Upgrade Codes.

Under Upgrades, I have two MajorUpgrade items.  One is targeting the Upgrade Code of the first product configuration, and the other is targeting the Upgrade Code of the second product configuration.

Both of these product configurations / releases can be installed on the same machine.  However, when installing the second product configuration on the system, it uninstalls the first one and vice versa.

Is it possible to have multiple Major Upgrade items in one InstallShield project targeting separate product configurations?

Lance Snead

Lance Snead
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:32

Thought about this a little longer and came upon an easy workaround.

Deleted one of the Major Upgrade items and set the Upgrade Code to the first product configuration, then rebuilt that configuration.

Then I changed the Upgrade Code to the second product configuration, then rebuilt the second configuration.

That allowed both the be installed on the same system without one uninstalling the other.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 17:14

You should take care to set future versions of your 2 configurations to use the same upgrade code and not regenerate it each time.  This will help you uninstall previous releases without needing a list of major upgrade items each with one of your past upgrade codes in it.