This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error in Patch for standard Project Installshield Dev 7.02

4 replies to this topic

aakash.tiwari12@gmail.com

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:01

Hi ,

i have created a patch (update.exe). i am getting this error.

This installation can not be run by directly launching from the msi package.

Thanks and regards,

Aakash

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:54

What happens if you right click the exe file and launch as administrator? I am wondering if you need a manifest for the exe file to require elevated privileges.

It is my personal opinion that patching using MSI is too complicated to use unless you have a very compelling reason to do so. I use it only when delivering "single file bug fixes" for released products, or I use a minor upgrade patch to fix errors in a products uninstall sequence that prevents it from uninstalling correctly. In all other cases I have found patching to cause more problems than it is worth.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 15 April 2014 - 12:00.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 13:49

Yeah i tried with run as administrator also.

But still no effect. some installshield guy suggested in some fourm that change setup.ini value ScriptDriven 0 to 1, i did that also. 

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 19:47

Are you using Installscript MSI? If so I would strongly recommend switching to Basic MSI. Installscript MSI suffers from several serious bugs in older versions of Installshield.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 20:31

I found this article, it should show you how you can relatively quickly convert your Installscript MSI project to Basic MSI.

I haven't tested it, but it should do the job. I guess you should compile an MSI from your Installscript ISM and convert the MSI and not the ISM, but you can try both and see what works best. Would be interesting to hear the result. I don't have access to Installshield at the moment.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul