This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Message box problem in major upgrade

5 replies to this topic

hovikn

hovikn
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:10

Hi All,

I'm using IS 11 Pro and I want to perform a major upgrade of the old setup.
But in previous version I have a remove warning message box, which is shown during uninstallation.
So this message box also appears during major upgrade, but I don't want it to appear.
I tried to change the major upgrade settings "Completely uninstall then install" to "Install then remove unneeded files", but the result is the same.
Maybe it is possible to disallow message boxes at all??
Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Hovik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:23

You probably should put a condition on the message box in the old version.
In which sequence did you insert the MessageBox, and how do you display it (a Windows Installer dialog, or a custom action?)

hovikn

hovikn
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 16:34

Thanks Stefan,
I am using custom action for displaying the message box, but the problem is that I can't do any changes in previous version. But I am very interested what condition can I put, that installer will recognize if it is uninstallion or major upgrade?
Now I am trying in other way. If I can to call the uninstallation silently the problem will be solved. But is it possible to change the uninstall mode during major upgrade?
Or maybe you know from where the installer takes the command-line string for uninstalling previous setup. Because if it takes from registry I can change the string adding /qn at the end.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hovik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:34

The UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE property will be set if the old version is being removed by a major upgrade.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 23:07

A major upgrade should also uninstall the previous version in silent mode. If you have a setup that you cannot uninstall like this, one way to fix it is to patch the existing install using a minor upgrade and then have the patch remove or condition the custom action in question.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

hovikn

hovikn
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 15:46

Hi Glytzhkof,
Thanks in advance,
your topic helped me to solve my problem smile.gif

Thanks,
Hovik