This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Alternative to Wise and InstallShield

3 replies to this topic

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:46

Does anyone have any experience with MSI install builders other than InstallSuck (sorry, InstallShield) and Wise, such as Advanced Installer and InstallAware. How do they compare when it comes to features? Are the products stable etc? I'd be very interested to know. After living with IS for many years I am now fed up with the buggiest software in the industry and I'm looking for alternatives.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 16:12

Check WiX: http://wix.sourceforge.net/

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:26

I would have to agree with Installshield's bugginess, though I do prefer their software in terms of functionality. Why oh why do the products have to be so buggy?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

codec

codec
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 14:12

I've been using MakeMsi with good results. Its particularly useful for batch environments, I do automated overnight builds with it. The scripting language can take a bit of getting use to if you want to do very clever things, but it allows you to do things as you build, including "make" like generation.