This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Logging question

1 reply to this topic

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 22:15

We are experiencing an occasional problem where after running our latest msi file, Windows Installer installation boxes keep popping up when launching various applications that are unrelated to our application (such as Internet Explorer, or Word).  It seems like it thinks it needs to do a repair or reinstall of our application for some reason.   In the log file, under the InstallValidate section where it lists all of the components, and the Installed, Request and Action statuses, I noticed that several files have "Installed", "Request" and "Action" all set to "Local".   Should this ever be the case?   If the file is already installed, shouldn't the action then be "Null" since no action should need to be taken?   Or is this a normal situation?   I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Doug Paida

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 14:11

i'm thinikng that perhaps there are duplicate components in the various msis, is this possible ?   maybe one app. is overwriting a component from another and causing a self-repair ?

do you have a way of testing to make sure the different components in the various msis are unique ( ie ConflictManager from either Wise or InstallShield or a custom solution based the component table export ) ?