This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to remove unused strings in string tables?

1 reply to this topic

bwknight

bwknight
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 22:32

I have an installer that I am maintaining. I have tried to export the english string table to send to another company for translation. They replied to me and said there are French language strings in the English string table. Yes thats right, there are French strings in the English string table.

Now how they got there, I have no clue, nor do I really care at this point. But I need to fix/remove them to get rid of the confusion. I have checked and the French strings in the English table are not referenced anywhere in the project, so they can safely be removed.

The problem is that the string table now is freaking HUGE. This would take me all day to do by hand. Is there any way to automate this process?

What I'm looking for is a sort of a "Clean Up" option for the string table that will dump any entries that arent referenced.

Or is there a way to do this through the automation interface? I could easily script a bit of code to say "If this string has 0 references, then drop it" if the automation interface supports it.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

thusithakumara

thusithakumara
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 14:51

when u ight click & select Find String ID in Project will out if any occurances available. if no occurances, that's mean you can remove the particular string from the table.