This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Passing parameters to minor upgrade installer

6 replies to this topic

harini19

harini19
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 21:01

I am using Install Shield 2009 - Basic MSI project. I have some issues running minor upgrade in silent mode.

I am using setup.exe. The minor upgrade works fine with user interaction. But it fails when tried to run in silent mode.

setup.exe runs successfully with the following command - setup.exe /s /v"/qn /l*v c:\msilog.txt" .

But if I try to pass parameters in the command line, I get the following error.
Error code - 1203 with insufficient parameter.

Please let me know what is wrong. Can I pass parameters to minor upgrade during silent install?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:05

According to my documentation, 1203 means *invalid* command-line parameters, not *insufficient*.
The /v switch overrides any command line parameters that are specified in setup.ini. So you need to add REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL for a minor update that ships as .msi file.

harini19

harini19
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 16:25

I had released the product as .MSI for Fresh install but for minor upgrade, I will be packaging the product with setup.exe. So, REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL parameters should be detected automatically.

During more testing, I noticed that when I pass two new upgrade parameters the silent mode install runs fine.
For e.g. - setup.exe /s /v"/qn PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=C:\Upgrade /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

But if I pass all the parameters used in the installer which contains parameters used for fresh install, then setup doesn't run at all. It doesn't create any log file.

The reason we are passing all the parameters is our company has a tool which runs the all the installers in silent mode. It dynamically creates command line to run installer with appropriate parameters.

Do you know why I see this behaviour?

Edited by harini19, 30 October 2009 - 16:27.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:27

So you are saying that this works:
setup.exe /s /v"/qn PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=C:\Upgrade /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

But this fails with error 1203:
setup.exe /s /v"/qn /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

Weird. Does it work if you use some dummy parameter?
setup.exe /s /v"/qn DUMMY =0 /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

What's the behaviour during firt time install? Does it fail only during update?
Do you have all the parameters exactly like listed here, i.e. no blank after /v etc.?

harini19

harini19
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 23:43

The silent mode installation fails with error code 1203 when I pass DUMMY value (used during Full installation) along with upgrade values.

setup.exe /s /v" /qn DUMMY =0 PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=C:\Upgrade /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

Also, I pass a space between /v & /qn like above in commandline.

It works if I use following commands -
setup.exe /s /v" /qn PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=C:\Upgrade /l*v c:\msilog.txt"
&
setup.exe /s /v" /qn /l*v c:\msilog.txt" -- In this case, installer takes default value of PRODUPGRADE & PRODUCTUPGPATH.

I am getting the same error in First time installation. It works fine with user interface. Silent mode installation seems to have problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 17:56

The silent mode installation fails with error code 1203 when I pass DUMMY value (used during Full installation) along with upgrade values.
setup.exe /s /v" /qn DUMMY =0 PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=C:\Upgrade /l*v c:\msilog.txt"

that was a typo in my post. There mustn't be a blank after DUMMY=

Please check the log to see which command line is actually passed to the msi engine.

harini19

harini19
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 18:20

I use the following command line for minor upgrade -

setup.exe /s /v" /qn DUMMY1=127.0.0.1 DUMMY2=0 DUMMY3=127.0.0.1 DUMMY4=EZPay DUMMY5=\"C:\Program Files\\" PRODUPGRADE=0 PRODUCTUPGPATH=\"C:\Upgrade Installers\Upgrade\""

If I don't pass any of the Dummy values then minor upgrade runs fine.

In case of Fresh Install, I have the below commandline.

setup.exe /s /v" /qn DUMMY1=127.0.0.1 DUMMY2=0 DUMMY3=127.0.0.1 DUMMY4=EZPay DUMMY5=\"C:\Program Files\\" PRODUPGRADE=1 PRODUCTUPGPATH=\"C:\Upgrade Installers\Upgrade\""

Here, Installer fails with error code 1203 if PRODUPGRADE & PRODUCTUPGPATH parameters are passed. The below commandline works fine for Fresh install
setup.exe /s /v" /qn DUMMY1=127.0.0.1 DUMMY2=0 DUMMY3=127.0.0.1 DUMMY4=EZPay DUMMY5=\"C:\Program Files\\""

Not sure why I see this weird behaviour.