This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Status bar pauses at 0% for 10-15 sec

5 replies to this topic

lildrjay

lildrjay
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 23:14

I've written an install program using IS 6.3 which seems to have an odd behavior. At the Setup Status window there is a 10-15 sec 'pause' before status bar updates normally. I'm not using XCopy or anything like that...just plain components and file groups. Try to use the debugger to narrow down the problem but had no luck isolating the problem. I have another project that this behavior happened on as well. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what's the fix/workaround?

Thanks in advance,

J

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 00:03

Hmm, well I'll watch my install on Monday to see if it does the same thing, but my guess is that IS is doing something in the background like extracting a large CAB file.

By chance, is an antivirus programming running as that will definitely slow down the installation?
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 07:30

After the progress bar dialog is put on the screen, and before the actual file transfer starts, Windows creates a system restore point (on Windows versions that support system restore, like Me and XP)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 23:19

Ah, good point Stefan. That would definitely slow the installation down on such OSes.
user posted image

lildrjay

lildrjay
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 18:36

Thanks for the quick responses...I'll try testing on a win 2000 machine w/o antivirus software running.

J

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 15:00

Try setting
bIfxPCHOn = FALSE
in your script before CreateInstallationInfo. This should turn the system restore functionality off.
(This may not be a good idea for your release, but it will tell you if that's the cause for the delay)