This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

msiexec.exe -Embedding <GUID> customActin

3 replies to this topic

sam.desilva15

sam.desilva15
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:53

Number of MSIExec processes can be running during an installation. The reason for this is that Windows Installer uses a client-server model for performing installations. Additionally for security reasons, Windows Installer hosts DLL and script custom actions in a "sandbox" process.

Depending on how the install was initiated, one of the MSIExec processes can be the client process. Another MSIExec process is Windows Installer service.
Any remaining MSIExec processes are usually sandbox processes for hosting custom actions. The determination as to which MSIExec process will serve as the sandbox process for a script or DLL custom action depends in part on whether the custom action will run elevated or impersonated and whether the custom action is 32-bit or 64-bit.

question is what is GUID Here while embeding and it is keep changing from system to system and across the installation...javascript:emoticon(':ph34r:')http://forum.install...ges/1/icon9.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:25

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the GUID that gets appended to the name of custom actions that are included in a merge module is the module's GUID. The same also gets appended to properties that are defined in the module. This is to avoid clashes with same named actions or properties in the main project or other custom actions.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:28

Stefan, I think he's observing the process names and seeing a GUID being passed between them.

Sam, my guess would that the GUID is a hash of some kind, generated from the user name and process ID. Try posting the question in one of the MSDN Windows Installer newsgroups. Some of the developers hang out there occasionally.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

sam.desilva15

sam.desilva15
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 14:01

Yes
Stefen
you are correct .
while installation of msi i was watching at process explorer ..i see multiple msiexec.exe are runing when i see properties i see like this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe -Embedding 59465E02FC8CDF15571B52DDDD811C42

i come to know this is for deffered custom action and i got the template like this..
msiexec.exe -Embedding <GUID> - this is the custom action server (indicated by the -Embedding switch)

here i have doubt what is <GUID> weatehr it stand for component ,Product or what its is...??