This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DevStudio 9: Install Logging

2 replies to this topic

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 15:28

Hi Folks,

I have a large install that I am working on which has many problems. I have tried everything that I know of to enable the MSI log that gets created when an application is installed, but, for some reason, the C:\Temp folder is empty and the only log that I can find is in the logged in users Temp folder, and it only shows any messages that I might have encountered during the install.

Anyone know what I can do here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

FrankSpierings

FrankSpierings
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 15:54

Have u tried:

Msiexec /i <PACKAGE.MSI> /L*v

or

run --> gpedit.msc
Local Computer Policy --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Installer --> Logging
Set the policy enabled, with necessary params.
run --> gpupdate /force

or

use http://www.sysintern.../DebugView.html
note that u need to enable a DWORD DEBUG=0 in HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah.. always watch the eventlog.

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 17:50

Hi Frank,

I can log from the command line with msiexec.exe just fine, I have not looked into the second suggestion though for the policy setting and that could very well be the problem. I have used debugview before to monitor messages from my install script functions using kernel32.dll but did not know about this other setting. That is super-useful information, thanks!!!

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net