This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDESP2 vs MSDESP3

1 reply to this topic

jwatson

jwatson
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 14:23

We use MSDE for our product.  For service packs, our installation calls the MSDE setup.exe with the applicable parameters using LaunchAppAndWait, then we check the output of the log file to determine its status.  Since the MSDE setup.exe seemed to spawn the Windows installer package and exit, we then put up a phony status bar to let the user know that something is actually happening.

There seems to be a difference between the methods of install for service pack 2 and service pack 3.  With service pack 3, it seems that the MSDE setup.exe shell now waits for the Windows Installer package to terminate before exiting.  This makes our status bar sit at 0% until the update is completed, then we check the log and go on.

Also, in some cases with service pack 3, it seems to take Windows Installer an incredibly long time (15-45 seconds or more) to start.

Has anyone else seen this change in behavior for MSDE SP3?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 14:58

Sorry, I downloaded SP3 in lieu of that SQL Slammer worm, but ended up just removing MSDE from my system since I never use it anyway.
user posted image