This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Where can INSTALLDIR be found in the registry?

1 reply to this topic

datniha

datniha
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 15:49

Hi Forum,

In InstallShield Developer (7.04) I've tried in vain to make a patch using the patch wizard. :-(

So, - now we are forced to make the patch using either a self-extracting zip archive, or create an installer in InstallShield 5.5. However, - I need to resolve where the user have selected to install the application (INSTALLDIR).

On a virgin PC with our product installed I've found several entries holding the INSTALLDIR path stored under
'[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Components\"Unkonwn GUIDs"]
"ProductGUID"=[INSTALLDIR]

Searching the msi file for one of the "Unknown GUIDs" does not reveal anything. They are not known!

So my question is ‘Can I be absolutely sure, that one (which one then) or the entire 'Unknown GUIDs' are present on systems where the application is installed?’

Any insight is very much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

All the best
---Niels

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 20:17

these 'unknown guids' are actually ms translated guids...

if you look at a known product guid and one of it's installed component guids you will see the relationship...

( ie. lower and higher order hex codes are swapped )

if you don't want to write a decoding algorithm you can determine the translation using the uninstall registry key...

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 20:17

these 'unknown guids' are actually ms translated guids...

if you look at a known product guid and one of it's installed component guids you will see the relationship...

( ie. lower and higher order hex codes are swapped )

if you don't want to write a decoding algorithm you can determine the translation using the uninstall registry key...