This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add/Remove applet shows wrong program size

6 replies to this topic

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 08:46

I'm doing a major upgrade. Everything else seems to be working quite fine, but the Add/Remove applet shows wrong program size. This is a small problem, but it irritates me. The size was 12.6mb before the upgrade and 2.6mb after the upgrade. I have changed the version number and package, upgrade and product codes in my new installer. I made the required entries in the upgrade table.
UpgradeCode:  upgrade code of the old product
VersionMin:
VersionMax:  1.00.0000 (version of the old product)
Language:
Attributes: 513
Remove:
ActionProperty: OLDPRODUCTS

I also made a property called SecureCustomProperties as adviced and set it to OLDPRODUCTS. What is OLDPRODUCTS anyway?
Do you have to define it somewhere?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 10:09

You seem to have done all that is requried except

The upgrade code should  normally stay the same.
You did not mention if you moved RemoveExistingProducts to after InstallFinalize.  This is best for Major Upgrades.

Your OLDPRODUCTS entry does not need to be predeclared in the property table.  In fact I would prefer not to.  It can be used as a condition for custom actions if you need special behaviour when upgrading.

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 12:04

There seems to be also something else wrong with my installer.
I placed RemoveExistingProducts after InstallFinalize action. If I try to run custom actions after RemoveExistingProducts it sometimes gives an error like this:
Installshield DLL Custom Action
Unknown source  ".
I thought that the error appeared when I call something from a DLL,but sometimes that works so I'm not sure.

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 12:52

The error only appears when upgrading.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 23:03

Basically the installer starts to shut things down after InstallFinalize.  Looking at log files you can certainly see things being closed.

Your custom action should be a commit action.  This of course will run before RemoveExistingProducts but that shouldn't be a problem.

I found when I first started I wanted to do things after InstallFinalize but my later installs have had no need to do it.

I should admit that I cocked up the first few releases of my install making it impossible to upgrade the earlier releases.  

If custom actions are flagged on the appropriate install state or install action there is not going to be a conflict of actions during upgrading.  Unfortuanately I see many people flagging CAs on crude conditions such as REMOVE="ALL" or NOT Installed.   The REMOVE="ALL" condition can be disasterous during upgrades.

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 07:36

Okay. I fixed my installer, so that now there's nothing else than RemoveExistingProducts after InstallFinalize. I still have a problem with the wrong program size. Both the old and the new installer have a same upgrade code now.
I did a very simple major upgrade test with the project wizard. Add/Remove showed a wrong program size after the upgrade.