This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade does not work

3 replies to this topic

bijuishere

bijuishere
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 00:01

I have a very peculiar problem. Our product uses Installshield MSI project to deploy and we released the first version recently. We have an automated build system that uses ISStandalone Build system and this runs on a particular machine. The setup for the first version was created on this very computer. Now we have another version which is an upgarde and the setup that is created form this machine does not upgarde successfully. On the target machine it does identify the existing install and then runs an upgarde but none of the files are replaced and the new shortcuts are not created. I create the setup from a different machine with the same set of files using ISStandalone system and there is no issues with the upgrade. Any idea on what is going on. Any help greatly appreciated.

On more research I saw these messages in the installlog

MSI (s) (74:8C) [16:37:14:711]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{486B8E57-707E-9CEA-9F5D-01E0CBF294B2}' is registered to feature 'Application', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (s) (74:8C) [16:37:14:711]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

The problem is that I do not have anything in the project with this component ID. I do dynamic linking of files in the component application but all of them seems to be fine as per the installlog.

--B

Edited by bijuishere, 13 July 2007 - 00:59.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 13:39

Did you populate the update optimization dialog in the release wizard? Dynamic file links are a problem with updates, especially if you include multiple sub directories.

bijuishere

bijuishere
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 18:22

No sir,

I will try that and revert.

--B

bijuishere

bijuishere
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 18:36

I tried enabling the options and one of the dynamically linked components was being assigned a new component id with every build. Luckily for me the first version CDs were not pressed. So I ended up recalling and got rid of the dynamic linking. I think there should be an advice on how dynamic linking works in Installshield MSI projects so people become aware of this